Monday, December 29, 2014

Greetings From Afar

Listeners and Friends:

I thought I would be able to manage my little once-a-week show while I was traveling, but unfortunately Internet access is difficult, and on top of that, my computer died.  I think it can still be resuscitated, but until it is, the program will be at the mercy of my friends over at WXPI.  I still don't know what aired on Saturday last, but it was planned to be a repeat of an earlier show.

Among the things I found left behind by my Dad is a recording of Handel's Messiah by the Scholar Consort, which had several more authentic versions of numbers from Messiah which are very different from the versions that have come to be familiar to us.  This mania to look for the earliest version of well-known works is distressing, because composers often wrote a piece, which they were dissatisfied with, and then proceeded to improve it.  Beginning in the 1970s, it became fashionable among younger musicologists to give reasons why the earlier version was "better" than the final version, and to tinker with the earlier version until it was performable, and then to record it.  This must have earned them many research credits, and much money from the recordings, but in retrospect it seems rather presumptuous to declare that their opinions concerning a composer's work must supersede those of the composer's.  If a composer liked an earlier version, wouldn't they have said so, and destroyed the later versions?  In some cases, they have.  But in all other cases, it makes better sense to present earlier versions as mere interesting curiosities, and that is the trend nowadays.  So we're no longer subjected to recordings of early versions of Bach's Brandenburg No. 5, for instance, as if it were the only worthwhile version.  (Apologies to Christopher Hogwood and his co-conspirators.  Since those misguided days, Mr Hogwood has produced wonderful recordings, many of which we have used on the program.)

The version of Messiah I listened to last night include a skippy version of Rejoice, O Daughter of Zion in compound time which borders on the comic.  I'm bringing the recordings back with me, since my family here either doesn't care to listen to Baroque music, or if they do, would prefer more familiar versions of better-known pieces.

Anyway, keep the faith, and I'll try my best to put together a nice program for the New Year.

Archie

P. S.  Did you listen to our Radio Play about Archie Andrews and his Christmas Shopping adventure?  I had a great time being The Floorwalker, and I hope some of you caught the play on Sunday at 8 a week ago!

Arch

No comments:

Post a Comment