Monday, February 23, 2015

Dare I say it? Mathematics and Music!

This week, at our school, it is Math Awareness Day.  Our Math Club hosts a couple of score middle-schoolers for a morning of mathematics and fun.

Mathematics and music go together like, er, macaroni and cheese.  So I guess it's time I tried to put together a program that combines math and music.

I have some ideas.  Tom Lehrer has a song called The New Math (a reference to a project in the Sixties, borrowed from Britain, which sort of derailed mathematics education for a couple of decades) which we can feature.  Then, I have a disc by a musician called Tom Jackson, called 88, for the 88 keys of a standard piano keyboard.

Tom Jackson takes the point of view that various phenomena in music illuminate phenomena in mathematics, and vice versa.

Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment