Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Archie's Archives: A New(ish) Road!

As you might have noticed, putting up the shows from the WXPI radio program Archie's Archives has been put on the back burner for a while now.  But something interesting happened to me a few years ago, and my musical world is vibrating rather unhappily.

First of all, my CD player got quite badly sick.  The CD's started skipping grooves (hey, that sounds like a familiar phrase; did I blog on this already?  What did I say?)  So I asked around, and new CD players are very, very expensive.

One of my friends, though, said I should look into DAPs.  What are those, you might ask?  Well, they're adult versions of mp3 players; i.e., they are high resolution music players.  You get to "rip" your CD's into computer files, but they're are much higher quality than you were accustomed to getting on your old iPods, or whatever you used (I used a SanDisk Clip).  You can even rip your music at CD quality, but in smaller files.  The .wav files are not very convenient; at the moment, I am converting the music on my CDs into .flac files, which contain every bit of information on the CD.

Then, I bought two things: a pair of really good headphones--these were expensive, but incredibly more comfortable than the older ones I had; then I bought what was going to take the place of my mp3 player, namely a DAP, or Digital Audio Player.

I'm having trouble getting music into the DAP; I succeed sometimes, then the next time I try, it says that it is full, or it says that the first batch I uploaded has disappeared.  This sort of problem is not uncommon with flash memory--which is what the gadget has.

Meanwhile, the tracks I have on my old clunker SanDisk sound awesome on my new headphones!  So when I go for my daily walk around the few blocks near my home, I'm listening to heavenly music.  Actually, I have not only a pair of new headphones, but also a pair of sport clips, which stay on my ears a little more securely than the earbuds I used to have.  My wife insist that I wear these clips on my walk, for fear that I might get run over by some vehicle that I haven't heard sneaking up on me.

I'll give you more information as I acquire it.

Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment