Friday, August 18, 2023

Aims and Objectives

When I first started this blog, I had some fairly clear objectives; they were to support the weekly radio program I used to deliver on WXPI.  The radio station has now become a Web-only station, because we---or they, really, since I don't contribute to them any more--- found it impossible to maintain the transmitter.  Now, I can put anything I want here, since there isn't a radio show to drive it along.  But the problem, for me, at least, with complete creative freedom, is that I can't think of what to create!

The problem I'm facing is common.  If you ask someone to write a tune, any sort of tune they like, or to write a story, with complete freedom, that often leads to a sort of paralysis.  Instead, if you set out certain rules that have to be satisfied, such as that the piece has to be in the key of D minor, and be about 32 bars long with no repeats, or that the story must feature a cat, who gets left behind when the family goes on vacation, it is so much easier to get started on the project. 

At the moment, this blog is completely rudderless, and as a result, you don't see very frequent posts.  I decided that I'm going to establish a theme for a few months; when I run out of posts that follow that theme, I'll set up another theme.  The theme for the next several posts will be: pieces and tunes that are stuck in my head!  After all, the implicit objective that underlies this blog is to make classical music accessible to those who vaguely like music, but don't know enough about it for them to get into it on their own.  If I describe these 'ear-bugs' that keep popping into my head, maybe they'll pop into yours, too!

Okay, the first installment will be tomorrow!

Archie

P.S. : By the way, if you didn't already know this: the image of a goofy- looking guy in period get up on the blog banner is me.  I took a well- known portrait of J. S. Bach, and 'photoshopped' my own face in there.  The photo was from about 15 years ago, so I don't look that good anymore. 

Archie

No comments:

Post a Comment