Sunday, August 13, 2023

Musical Talent

I have begun writing to a friend of my childhood, who is now a professor of medicine in Wales!  I told him--- after having waited a decent interval--- about my string quartet, and he readily agreed to listen to the piece, and remarked that I was talented. 

I have to admit that I have a bit of talent, which means I really can't take full credit for anything I create; those who labor to perfect a piece of music, like Beethoven did, deserve far, far more praise than someone who tosses off a piece offhand-ly, like Mozart.  But that doesn't sound right; Mozart has written some of my very favorite pieces. 

Here is a complete list of the pieces I have written:

  1. Chorale-prelude on 'Jesu Meine Freude'.
  2. Fantasia on 'Starlight Serenade'
  3. Mystery Waltz
  4. A Polka. (Not really, but that's what I called it!)
  5. String Quartet in C major. 

All of these are derivative, by which I mean that they're based on an existing piece, except 4, and 5.  It is hard for me to write something completely original; something that's worth listening to, anyway!  So much for talent.  Bach, for instance: imagine creating a piece of music, like a fugue, that's not only wonderful to listen to, but has all the inner structure that fugues are expected to have!!

So, I really don't have much to say on the topic of talent, except that we have to measure how much praise we give someone for creating something by first discounting what can be attributed to pure talent.  This recalls the parable of the talents, and the summary of that parable: From those to whom much is given, much is expected. 

Archie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment